When An Indian Wobbles His Head

Monday, July 23, 2012

I was in India last month for a trip.


India was a shock to me. Like most major capital city I travel to, the first time I arrived it was like overwhelming.

But after a couple of days, I actually start to appreciate the local culture a lot more.


There's one thing however, that remains confusing to me.

What exactly does it mean when an Indian wobble his head?



Seriously, they do it all the  time. Sometimes when I ask them a question, they don't answer anything. All they do is wobble their head.

And I'm supposed to guess?



Arnis: Sir, can you take me to So-And-So restaurant please?


Indian Rickshaw Driver: *says nothing* *wobbles head*

Arnis: ???

It could mean any of the following things :

a) Yes
b) No
c) I don't know
d) 150 rupees, please
e) My auto has no gas left, can you take another auto?
f) I am not familiar with that restaurant, can you show me the way?
g) About three things I was absolutely positive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was a part of him-and I didn’t know how potent that part might be-that thirsted for my blood. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.


You Might Also Like

2 comments

Subscribe