The Scarf

Saturday, August 08, 2009

I received this amazing poem ( or whatever it is) from my American friend, Ashlee. She is a 17 year old girl and she is a Muslim. She had converted since she was 15 years old. Amazing story, huh?
This are some of her messages that tells me about her life in NY to me via myspace :

-awww dats so great MAshallah habibty im so happy for you=] and yea im a muslim=] i love it i kno dis is da best relgion its so jamila and da best choice i
ever made in my LIFE wallah it is

-htye were like why u want tht and they hated me adn they all still hate me because i actaully went through wit it and converted=] and my mom is movin outta state to
atlanta wit my brother after he graduates and then she said she is gunna leave me here because she wants to start a better and happier life without me so idc my fiance was like ur not goin wit her ur stayin
here wit me and i was like i kno im not goin wit her she dont want me and my family in atlanta dont want me either and my fiance said u dont need them u only need me so forget ur
mom and ur family and dats wht imma do becayse they put me down all da time but idc because i kno da choice i made was da
best choice iue ver made in my life and i have no regrets idc wht people say because they dont kno anythin and they dont kno how beautiful islam is
so yea my family hates me
and my mom said tht i cant go to da holiday parties at my families houses and i cant go to there houses anymore she said go celebrate ur holidays wit ur muslim
friends and thts wht imma do my arabic friends already said i could=]

-awww thnxs habibty of course i always stay strong i may cry at nite befor ei go to bed but i dont let my emotions show durin da day and wen i cry its because i just think bout all da bad stuff my familyl says but really i always stay strong and just live each and every day to the fullest i live like it was my last


Well, here is the poem entitled The Scarf :


The Scarf


They stand there with shorts, so short, excessively short,
shorts that so deceptively capture from them all they know
of modesty...
...and I proudly pull my scarf over my hair

They stand there, face lost in a sea of make-up,
make-up that so ruthlessly captures from them all they know
of freedom...
...and I proudly pull my scarf over my hair

They stand there, hair raining with gels, colors -
chemicals that so menacingly capture from them all they knowof purity...

...and I proudly pull my scarf over my hair

They stand there, so close, so very close to their "lover",
devoted to them, the devotion that so mercilessly captures
from them all they know of individuality...

...and I proudly pull my scarf over my hair

And they stand there, talking of getting new shorts, new gelsand colors, new boyfriends, materialistic things
that so wrongfully capture from them all they know
of God and love...

...and I proudly pull my scarf over my hair

For my scarf is my protector, my lover, my devotion,
my pureness, my beauty, my rememberance of God,

And I proudly pull it over my hair knowing that when I wear it,I so rightfully thrust away all the things that the devil
brought about,

And when I put it on, I am

Free...


(Ashlee's Image)

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Subscribe